Saturday, August 09, 2008

Is it really August already????

My Moon Time is scheduled to happen Any Minute. So let's get on with it shall we??? Please!

It's always so hard for me to stick with any resolve during p.m.s. time. Perhaps I should just accept this (?). Hmmm, can I get ahead in a healthful way physically if I stick to a plan only 3 weeks out of every month? (well, I suppose it's better than unhealthful habits 4 weeks of every month, no?)....

It's been a little while since my last entry, and several things have changed around here since then. Probably the most significant is that my darling teenage son, whom we all adore (all that is, but his younger sister, heh), has returned to us from the 6 week athletic camp/intensive thingie he was participating in in another state this summer. He learned a lot and improved skills and it was overall a great experience for him. We went to fetch him and bring him back just over a week ago. I missed him very much while he was away of course, and thrilled to have him back home....

However, I must confess, having him back in the house does change the dynamic around the household considerably. The 'energy' is different, the overall activity level has ramped way up. And especially when it comes to food, meals and eating? Very different!

Just an all-around great kid -- but you've heard the old tired cliche about teenage boys and eating? Well, I can attest that It's All True. All of it!

This kiddo can literally eat us out of house and home, and always has -- think of the 'Jughead' character from the Archie comics. Yep, that's my son. Perpetually starving, all of the time -- with a constant need to consume calories. Note please that he is extremely physically active, in addition to all the regular teenage growth -- so his metabolic rate must be through the stratosphere. He's very involved with a physically-active, extra-curricular activity, for which he must practice and train almost daily. Tall for his age (over 6 feet at newly 15), he's extremely slim, and toned --without an extra ounce of body fat anywhere to be seen (guess he has a 'hollow' leg to stash all the food he can pile away in a sitting)....

Compared to that eating machine, my husband, daughter and I are 'light' consumers, relatively speaking anyway. I got used to making very simple, light meals while my son was away, that satisfied the three of us at least (but which he would likely have found lacking). Cooking was uncomplicated. Heck, I barely even shopped (and I'd wager we saved serious money in the way of groceries these past 6 weeks in the process!). There were no grumblings, no complaints of 'why is there nothing to EAT around here!'. ... Plus, most importantly, in regards to me? I'm realizing it was a heck of a lot easier to exert the personal self control needed for my own health habits while he was away.

Therein, the peace and quiet of the summer has changed a bit in the short while he's been home, hello!

Suddenly, I'm thinking about Food all the time again -- not necessarily for ME, but in order to try to keep one step ahead of HIM. I think I've already been shopping already more times this past week than I did the whole previous six -- trying to find things for him to grab and go, or cook himself (happily, he is pretty good about that) between meals. My meal planning has become more complicated again -- in order to try to incorporate his tastes and nutritional needs. Once again I'm stocking those snacky items that I didn't even think twice about all summer.

Not to mention the jump start in activity level that happened once he came back -- with me running around again to get him to his various activities, practices, educational and social events, etc. It has definitely upped my stress level compared to the dull, quiet days of the last few months. I'm still trying to get used this new schedule (which will even increase with the start of fall I know) -- for sure, stress for me is the enemy of my emotional eating issues, heh!

As such, this transition seems to be a bit of a trial to my self control -- and I admit it's taken a bit of a slide. Maybe not terribly so? (yet) -- but I'm definitely eating MORE quantity, with LESS quality, since he's been back. Finding time to get to the gym is different too, my schedule has changed so much (not that I blame him in any way, mind you -- I'm just more challenged I guess, and need to get a grip and pay more attention to what I'm doing....).... Because as I know all to well, if I don't reign this in all the good I achieved this summer will be for naught.

No comments: