Wednesday, May 17, 2006

Something Old, Something New

It's one of those uber busy weeks around here, while my family is involved in a big project. There is light at the end of the tunnel though -- after this weekend things will slow down around here considerably.....

There are benefits to the heightened activity level however -- it's been easy enough to keep my food consumption out of the nondisordered range. I believe eating for me was a boredom activity a lot of the time in the past.

Aside from a little overeating of the delicious fare at a Mom's Day picnic last Sunday, I'd say I fell I've been doing pretty well sticking to my new habits of not snacking, and avoiding disordered eating. And the previously unwearably tight X-mas jeans? They are spot-on comfy now -- fitting Just Right (if not even slightly loose. w00t!)....

I have tried something new this week though, just for fun. In my online surfing recently, I stumbled across talk of the Shangri-la Diet. It sounded more than a little counter-intuitive to me, and I was ready to dismiss it all out of hand as yet another ridiculous weight-loss fad, or even an elaborate hoax. And besides, wasn't I through with all that 'dieting' b.s?. But, reading further, the theory behind it sounded intriguing, if a little ... hokey. Hey, I'm a natural-born skeptic. But, the principles of the 'diet' (though it's not really a 'diet' per se) seemsed so simple and cheap to apply I figured it couldn't possibly hurt to give it a go for at least for a little while, just out of curiosity if nothing else. The two-hour window of flavorless eating -- easy enough to incorporate into my day, since I've cut out snacking between meals anyway. It's been about 6 days now -- and I'd have to say, while I dont' yet notice a hugely dramatic difference, as some people report, there do seem to be subtle changes. I'm feeling full faster, on less food. But I don't know if it is the diet, my nerves with all the recent activity, wishful thinking, or what -- still, it is a significant and encouraging change, since I was still finding myself overeating at individual meals sometimes (like at special occasions, and eating out, or letting myself get to hungry, etc). I intend to give it more time to see how things progress.

No comments: