Saturday, July 19, 2008

Saturday Afternoon

I did not get to the gym yesterday despite my bestest intentions (and it was my official 'gym-niversary' no less (6 months!), oh well...). I did however today, for 45 minutes on the elliptical, 25 minutes on the treadmill, plus some arm work.

Hadn't done the treadmill in ages, so that was a little different for me, though I'm tempted to start sprinkling in treadmill workouts here and there. When I first joined my gym 6 months ago, the treadmill was all I ever did, because I'd never tried an elliptical before and was quite intimidated. In fact, the whole gym experience overall was a pretty new and intimidating thing for me. I was terribly self conscious at the beginning (despite the fact this is just a very small, no frills gym chain), and it took a good long while before I was truly comfortable running around the joint (so glad I got over it). As for the elliptical, I had to build up my courage to give it a whirl -- once I finally did I actually began favoring it in short order, to the point that it's what I've exclusively been using for the last several months. No doubt however it's a good idea to vary workouts and go back and forth between the two machines. They do feel very different.

I followed my gym visit this afternoon with a very intense 2-hour vegetable gardening and weed pulling session, which involved much bending over, yanking and squatting. Rather sore and exhausted right now -- I think the gardening in the sunny humid inferno just about did me in. But it was very critical, with all the foot-high invaders of the weed variety trying to take over. It's all whipped into shape now, the garden. I even picked my first harvest of the season: 4 very small tomatoes (cherry romas? -- is there such a thing?), a hefty hungarian-style yellow pepper (plus an orphaned, medium-sized green tomato I found that had somehow broken off) -- quite exciting! It all went into the fresh batch of pico-di-gallo I made again tonight (swear I cannot get enough of that stuff).

No comments: