Thursday, April 27, 2006

Clothing Challenged

I have a semi-elegant event to attend tonight, as I do every year at this time. It's really not a terribly big deal, but my usual clothing of choice, to the tune of old jeans, t-shirts, and birkenstock sandals, definitely wont cut it. In other words, I'll have to come up with something decent to wear. And being the introverted SAHM-type that I am, I don't have a whole lot of occasions for which I actually have to do this, so I don't have a big selection 'nice' clothes in my personal wardrobe. I achingly remember those care-free days of throwing on some soft, breezy, spring hippie skirt (one of the multitude that I owned), a cute top, maybe a light sweater over my shoulders, a smattering of jewelery, and I was set. But it's not that easy anymore. Those soft breezy skirts that I once loved to wear, and were so flattering, look more or less like billowing tents on me today. I hate shopping and rarely do it -- and when I do FORCE myself to do it, it's generally without any real plan (plus I often grab stuff willy nilly at garage and charity sales), so all I end up with is a lot of mismatched, noncoordinating seperates to work with....

So, I'll need to see what I can come up with. One option may very well be the infamous X-mas jeans that I can FINALLY FIT INTO VERY COMFORTABLY. They are brand new, and very black. You see, there were actually two pairs of X-mas non-fitting, LLBean, size 18, wide leg jeans that I was struggling with -- a black pair, and a 'faded' pair. I've been focusing on the faded pair -- but the black pair, which I'm wearing this morning for the very first time, are just as fit-able now (squee). Paired with an ok top, and something other than Birk's or sneakers for footwear -- perhaps I can get by with wearing them since they are so new (and thus so very black)....

Tonight's event will feature, as I know from experience, a nice reception with wine and a respecatable spread of hors d'oeuvres. There will be crackers and cheeses, meat-type stuff (yuk), salsa/chips/guacamole (yum), and a huge pile of extremely irresistably-lovely and decorative petite fors. The time will be between 5:00 and 7:00 -- so this will mostly likely simply turn out to be my dinner (I'm going solo -- the others will be at my son's soccer game that, sadly, I'll have to miss). I shall be tempted by the wine (free alcohol!), and maybe even dare to sample a little (have to be very careful with that though -- because even at my size and weight, my tolerance is laughably low). In any event, I'll be keeping these plans in the back of my mind as I try to get through yet another day of eating as non-disordered as possible....

No comments: