Sunday, April 09, 2006

The Corn Syrup Runs Deep....

I was not breastfed as a baby. Apparently it was still not in favor by the time I came around in the mid 60's. Or, at least it wasn't with my mom, who by that time had already raised three artificially fed infants, and was pretty down with the whole technique. And she truly believed she was doing her best by us too, bless 'er little 76 year old heart (I love that woman), because her doctor assured her it was so. It is kind of sad though, because having nursed my own two babies (now 9 and 12) into toddlerhood as I did? I understand full well, as does most everybody else these days, just what a bonus breastfeeding offers.

Instead, I, along with the rest of my generation, was given 'formula'. Only formula then was very different than what it is today (at least I figure so -- never used it myself, but I understand the corporations research breastmilk, and when a new nutrient is discovered they do their darndest to replicate it). I don't believe there was any commercially available formula back then actually-- my mother concocted her own as per the physician's advice. Every night she would make up all the bottles needed for the following day, with a boiled brew that consisted of 1/3 evaporated milk, 1/3 water, and 1/3 corn syrup. Corn syrup! Lovely. A third of a baby bottle of Karo corn syrup, per how many bottles in a day? Per week? Per year? Surely adding up to the many gobs and gobs of sticky-sweet corn syrup we all must have been weaned upon. Doesn't sound like the healthiest start in life. And it showed, at least on me it did. Photos of me at the time portray the full baby cheeks, bunched up in a smile, the dimpled hands and soft, pudgy knees....

Today I still have the bunchy, full cheeks, big hands and soft, pudgy knees -- plus any number of big, soft, pudgy body parts in addition (though I must say I've run quite the gamut in terms of size over my 39 years). Still have that syrupy corn-sweet tooth too, plus a salty tooth, and a fats tooth. Lots to chew on at any rate....

No comments: