Monday, April 24, 2006

Monday, monday .....

Another weekend of non-disordered eating, for which I am very grateful. It was a uber-busy one to be sure, but I feel calm and relaxed this Monday morning....

My kids had their piano recital yesterday afternoon. They'd worked hard practicing for it, and I was proud of them for marching up there and playing in front of everybody. They're far braver than I. I've always despised that sort of thing -- and still do, avoiding anything that smacks of public speaking/performing (shudder). I guess you would call me shy. Happily, my kids do not seem to have inherited the same trait.

After the recital, there was a small reception, complete with juice, pop, cookies and goodies. I had a bit of juice and two cookies. It all felt very 'normal'. Because I was busy, I hadn't eaten much lunch, so I was slightly hungry (we'd also just come from my kids' musical rehearsal earlier in the afternoon, where brownies and treats were offered during a break, and I declined since I wasn't particularly interested at the time. Plus I figured there'd proabably be stuff at the recital anyway). Immediately after the recital, I went on a grocery shopping errand and, because of my cookie snack I guess, wasn't tempted to buy more than I needed, or stuff I wouldn't ordinarily get, due to an empty and demanding stomach. Then, later in the evening, I ate a light dinner, listening to my body and stopping when I'd had enough.

Needless to say, it could have been (and HAS been) quite different. In my former food-preoccupied mindset, I most likely would have had a substantial lunch of some kind yesterday (following a substantial breakfast) whether I was hungry or not, and no matter how busy (because it would be Lunch Time, and one eats Lunch at Lunch Time, right?). I would probably have made a point of sampling the brownies at the musical rehearsal (brownies!), and probably still would have been tempted by more than just the two cookies at the recital ('hey, free food!'), and despite having had the brownies, etc at the earlier event. I most likely would have felt inclined to purchase something other than just the basics at the store, AND ...would probably have followed it all up with another substantial dinner at Dinner Time. Gads....

Sweet freedom....

No comments: